|C Gayle||S Finn||D Sammy||L Ronchi|
|D Miller||T Boult||S Afridi||B Taylor|
|A Shehzad||L Malinga|
|Y Khan||R Ashwin|
|E Morgan||K Roach|
According to the ICC rankings just before the World Cup started, Sachin’s highest rated batsmen is David Miller [ranked 23], his highest rated bowler is D Vettori [ranked 9] in the world and his all rounders do not even make the top 10. Add to these statistics:
- Gayle has not hit a century for over a year;
- E Morgan’s & Y Khan have no form whatsoever to speak of;
- Shehzad is nursing an injury;
- Malinga had not played for over six months;
- Roach is not even up for team selection and is the lowest point getter in the auctions at -30;
- Finn & Ashwin were one of the least economical bowlers in 2014 and were rotated at every opportunities by their respective countries;
- Sammy & Afridi bat so low down the order, that even Cricinfo & ICC list them as bowlers!
The above gives us a grand total of 10 players who one would say had a buyer beware tag next to them! But here in lies the magic, the brilliance of our friend Sachin whose team not only sits atop the auctions but does so dominantly. His team cost an economical 1600 units to construct and his players were bought astutely to reflect his position at the top of our table.
A genius is a person who displays exceptional superior intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of new advances in a domain of knowledge.
The above is the definition of genius from Wikipedia and I think is apt for my wonderful friend who never ceases to amaze me. He may or may not finish top by the end of the World Cup but one thing is for sure, that he deserves an unabashed apology from me for the low rating I bestowed upon him before the start of the World Cup. I humbly apologize my friend and well done so far!
Sachin’s team rating: 4.5/5.